Tiny Wiki :
Fast loading, text only version of Wikipedia.
Ferrovie Dello Stato
The ''Ferrovie dello Stato'' (State Railways), know also with the acronym ''FS'', is the operator of the Italian railway network. A public concern, it is a railway company of Italian state and its capital is held by the Italian state.
The FS is organised as a group with the following principal divisions:
* Trenitalia: goods and passengers
* Rete Ferroviaria Italiana (Italian Railway Network), or simply ''RFI'': national railway infrastructure
* Italferr: engineering
* Ferservizi: non-core service
* Grandi Stazioni (Large Stations): manages the 13 largest railway stations
* CentoStazioni (100 Stations): manages the 103 medium-sized railway stations
* Sogin: road transport services
* Fercredit: financial services
The Italian rail network includes 16,178 km of standard gauge lines, of which 10,688 km are electrified at 3 kV, DC.
Trenitalia traffic (2002 figures):
* Passengers: 492 million (+4.2% on 2001)
* Goods: 73.6 million tons (-5.1% on 2001)
* Locomotives: 4,500
* Passenger cars: 10,000
* Goods wagons: 50,000