Tiny Wiki : Fast loading, text only version of Wikipedia.

Italian General Election, 2001





A national general election was held in Italy on May 13, 2001 to elect members of the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate of the Republic. The 14th Parliament of the Italian republic was chosen.

Leader of the right-wing House of Freedoms Silvio Berlusconi won the election, defeating Francesco Rutelli, former Mayor of Rome, and premieral candidate of the leftist Olive Tree coalition, and rising back to power after his first victory, in 1994.

Electoral system




The intricate electoral system of Italy provided 75% of the seats on the Chamber of Deputies (the Lower House) as elected by first-past-the-post system, whereas the remaining 25% was assigned on a proportional way with a minimum threshold of 4%.

The method used for the Senate was even more complicated: 75% of seats by uninominal method, and 25% by a special proportional method that actually assigned the remaining seats to minoritary parties.

Formally these were exemples of additional member systems.

House results




Inside the House, 475 were chosen in single-member districts, as it happened in the United States. The remaining 155 seats were assigned by proportional representation with a national D'Hondt method and a 4% threshold.



Senate results






Aggregate results of uninominal part by region







Source: Wikipedia