Tiny Wiki :
Fast loading, text only version of Wikipedia.
Renzo Piano (born 14 September, 1937) is a world renowned Italian architect and recipient of the Pritzker Architecture Prize, AIA Gold Medal, Kyoto Prize and the Sonning Prize. One admirer said the "serenity of his best buildings can almost make you believe that we live in a civilized world".
His work also has its strong critics, to the point of infamously being called "a hodgepodge of tents, greenhouses and scaffolding."
Piano was born in Genoa, Italy, in 1937 and maintains a home and office (Building Workshop) in the area. He was educated and subsequently taught at the Politecnico di Milano. He graduated from the University in 1964 and began working with experimental lightweight structures and basic shelters
. From 1965 to 1970 he worked with Louis Kahn and with Makowsky. He worked together with Richard Rogers from 1971 to 1978; their most famous joint project is the Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris (1977). He also had a long collaboration with the engineer Peter Rice.
In 1981, Piano founded the "Renzo Piano Building Workshop", employing a hundred people with offices in Paris, Genoa, and New York.
On 18 March, 2008, he became an honorary citizen of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina .
Piano’s recent expansion of the Art Institute of Chicago includes a 264,000 square foot wing with 60,000 square feet of gallery space called the Modern Wing, which opens May 16, 2009.
It includes a "flying carpet", a sunscreen that hovers above the roof and a 620-foot steel bridge connecting Millennium Park to a sculpture terrace that leads into a restaurant on the wing’s third floor. [Barliant, Claire. "[http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/30847/museum-memory/ Museum Memory]." Modern Painters, April 2009.]
* Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, Athens (2009-)
* City Gate, Royal Opera House, Parliament of Malta, and Freedom Square, Valletta, Malta (2009/10-)
* Renzo Piano Tower I & II, San Francisco, California (2006-)
* Trans National Place, Boston, Massachusetts (2006-)
* Whitney Museum of American Art, New York City, New York (2005-)
* Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston, Massachusetts (2005-)
* Sesto San Giovanni Masterplan, Milan (2004-)
* Los Angeles County Museum of Art (2003-)
* Modern Wing of the Art Institute of Chicago, expansion project (to open May 2009)
* Nichols Bridgeway, Chicago, Illinois (to open 2009)
* Shard London Bridge, London
* California Academy of Sciences rebuilding, San Francisco, California (2008)
* Vulcano Buono shopping mall, Nola, Italy (2007)
* The New York Times Building on Eighth Avenue in Manhattan, New York City (2003-2007)
* Rocca di Frassinello Winery, Gavorrano, Italy (2002-2007)
* Zentrum Paul Klee, Bern, Switzerland (2006)
* Morgan Library Expansion, New York, New York (2003-2006)
* Cité Internationale, Lyon, France (1995-2006)
* High Museum of Art Expansion, Atlanta, Georgia (2005)
* Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas,Texas (opened 2003)
* Parco della Musica auditorium, Rome, Italy (2002)
* Auditorium Paganini, Parma, Italy (2001)
* Aurora Place, Sydney, Australia (1996-2000)
* Swatch 'Jelly Piano' wristwatch, 1999 Summer Collection model. "My most proud work" (Piano, 2001)
* Stadio San Nicola, Bari, Italy (1988-1989)
* Jean-Marie Tjibaou Cultural Center, Nouméa, New Caledonia (1991-98)
* Beyeler Foundation Museum, Basel, Switzerland (1997)
* NEMO science museum, Amsterdam, Netherlands (1997)
* Kansai International Airport, Osaka (Japan) (1987-1990)
* Menil Collection, Houston, Texas (opened 1987)
* Banca CIS building, Cagliari, Sardinia (1985)
* IBM Travelling Pavilion
* IRCAM & the Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, France (1972-1977)